Friday, March 8, 2013

Project Disney-Peter Pan



I am participating in Project Disney hosted by Picture Me Reading!  Go to her blog to learn more about it!

Project Disney: The plan is to tackle all of the Disney films, re-reading the classic stories and tales that inspired many of them and to look at how the changes the filmmakers made, the new elements they introduced and the essential elements they kept. We will, of course, be talking about the films as movies as well, saying why we enjoy them and what some of our favorite moments are, but our focus will be on looking at them as adaptations. For the films that are not drawn from any one work we’ll be looking at some of the possible literary influences that we see in the stories.




This weeks discussion is Peter Pan! I have a confession... Peter Pan was never my favorite Disney movie when I was young.  I just didn't really like it. The more I watch it now that I am older the more I love it. Also, surprisingly I had never read the book Peter Pan and Wendy by J.M. Barrie.  I read this book in one sitting!   The book was a little confusing to me at times... I had to re-read some parts.  At first Captain Hook was called black and I thought that was describing his race and then I think he was being called evil?   There is murder and scalping!  I will admit too that I didn't really like the view of women in this book.  It's like they were just meant to serve men, which is what Wendy is supposed to do for Peter Pan.  I also found it was interesting in the book that Wendy, Michael, and John's parents were really deciding if they were going to keep them or not after they were born!

Also for those of you who think Tinker Bell is a sweet heart think again!  She is a DIVA!  She actually causes Wendy to be shot by an arrow in the heart. But of course the Disney franchise has really made an amazing story out of her.  She is very popular right now and has her own movies and her own group of friends now.  I have watched the new Tinker Bell movies and I think they are really done well.  I love all the different movies about Peter Pan.  I loved the movie Hook with Robin Williams.  Very well done!  If you haven't seen it... really you should watch it.  It's all about when Peter Pan has grown up.  If you have followed my other Disney Projects you know I love the artist who draws these evil pictures of the Disney characters!  Here is Tinker Bell!

Captain Hook is interesting in the book compared to the Disney movie.  He comes off a little bit troubled to me in the book.  Like he's not all mentally there.  In the movie he is just always scared.  Hook was a school teacher before he ended up at Neverland.  Though we never really find out how the pirates or Indians end up in Neverland.  The Indians barely have a story either.  Tiger Lily is in the book for a brief time.  And the mermaids are also in it a brief time and the lagoon isn't as neat as it is in the movie.

For those of you who are really interested in Peter Pan stories there is an AMAZING book series by Dave Berry and Ridley Pearson called Peter and the Starcatchers.  There are 4 books in the series This series explains where Peter came from, where he got his powers, why are he and Captain Hook enemies, and what is going on with his crazy shadow.  These books do not really follow J.M. Barrie's books at all so expect something totally different.



And here again for you Disney fans out there... if you have not checked out Annie Leibovitz photos for the Disney campaign you must do!!  There are typically new ones every year.  Here is the one for Peter Pan!   They all have hollywood stars in them and I really think it's clever. 




In this case.. I like the Disney movie better then the J.M. Barrie book.  Personally I think the movie has a more magical feeling.  These are a few quotes I love from Peter Pan...
"All children, except one, grow up."
"Every time a child says, 'I don't believe in fairies,' there is a fairy somewhere that falls down dead."
"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning."

My other Project Disney:
Cinderella
Snow White
Treasure Planet
Sleeping Beauty
The Great Mouse Detective 
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Princess and the Frog
Pinocchio  
Fantasia 
Beauty and the Beast
Lady and the Tramp
Alice in Wonderland
The Rescuers
 The Rescuers Down Under

Check out the host Picture Me Reading's post on Peter Pan.  I am serious their trading cards are to die for!!

Just found this evil Wendy and had to add it!

No comments:

Post a Comment