Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pride and Prejudice - Graphic Novel Review

I am really interested in reading all the Marvel Classics graphic novels.  It's hard to find a complete list of all of them but I think I finally found one that includes books from Treasure Island to The Odyssey.  I have been wanting to read the Pride and Prejudice one for a while and was finally able to get it from my library.

I didn't love the story in the graphic novel series. I was a little confused.  I think there should've possibly been more comics in the series maybe to help get the story out better.  There was a lot of text on the pages and I felt it jumped from one plot line to the next pretty fast.  The lines from the book are all in here though.  I think this is a good introduction to the story for readers who haven't read the novel by Jane Austen and are wondering what the story is all about.

Now for the art work.  I just really didn't think it fits this book's era.  I enlarged this page from the comic so you can see just all the text I am talking about in the artwork.  I think the novel makes the ladies look like the makeover that Disney recently did on the princesses.  


I see in some reviews that people are talking about the fact that the cover of the graphic novel is different then the panels inside the comic.  This is quite common in comics that I have seen.  I never like to say someone's artwork is bad.  I love art, so I believe art is in the eye of the beholder.  What I like to say is that it's not my style.  In this case I just felt it was just not perfect for this type of story.  though I do love the covers for each of the comics included in the graphic novel.  I think they are neat!

Now even though I didn't love this graphic novel.. I still love the idea of the novel.  I am really excited that Marvel is taking on the Classic stories and look forward to what they have to come in the future.  I would pick this up from the library if you are interested in reading it.  It'll be an afternoon of a little fun!



The Crystal Ball says:




Rain is pouring...  Not sure if this was really worth my time, must get umbrella.

No comments:

Post a Comment