Monday, August 5, 2013

Discussion- Book Trailers

So lately I have been thinking about book trailers.  Does anyone watch these things?  I have been using to ability to post a video in my book club on goodreads and I wonder if anyone even watches them or if they are just more clutter on the page?  I used to keep the book trailers at the top of the group on goodreads.... but of course goodreads never really fixed the challenges in the groups.  Since the challenges aren't able to be collapsed or moved to the bottom of the group they take up a huge chunk of real estate on the top of the page so I moved the videos to the bottom of the group.



In the above picture you can see that the challenge is huge!  I am discussing with my co-mod how to fix this now.  Since I have been waiting years for goodreads to fix the challenge widget and they never have we are going to try to come up with something different.  I think instead of listing each books description for the challenge we will just put a generic challenge description in the main post and link off to a thread that goes into detail for each book.  The comes the book trailers:


I usually post the trailers for the next book we are reading to help the members of the group decide whether or not to read the book with the group (obviously I am looking for more people to participate).  I wonder though.. does anyone watch these trailers?  Not only in my group but readers themselves.  Goodreads does post have many people viewed the video.. which is a nice feature. 


(nice ad on there by the way).  As you can see some trailers have lots of views and some not so many.  I haven't seen an influx of participants in the group reads though because of the trailers.  I have only seen a few book trailers myself that are amazing.  For example, A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.  The trailer is a work of art and I would read this book!!




So I wonder do you watch book trailers? Do they make you want to read a book or not read a book?  Do you participate in any groups on goodreads where you actually read a long with the group, and if so do you watch the book trailers posted in the group? 

No comments:

Post a Comment