Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand-Review


Read Unearthly by Cynthia Hand for my Young Adult Book Club. It was a lot of fun because the discussions are going great and the author even stopped by for a Q&A!  Here is the goodreads description:

Does your home tell the story of who you are? I
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy. 
 Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny? Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

I thought this book was good I enjoyed it but didn't love it. I think the problem was that for me it didn't pick up and get really exciting till the end. I loved one the Black Wings were introduced and I wish they had been introduced sooner and that might have made it a little better. I knew as the end of the book came closer and closer that it was going to end RIGHT when we got to the "purpose".

I will say the author did a good job with mystery in this book which makes me actually want to read the next book. The mother's story, the brother, will there be a bigger picture in the future with the angel plot? Those questions do make me want to read the next book. Oh and Jackson Hole, WY. First off I love WY. Yes I know who says that? But it is beautiful. I don't normal get up to the part by Jackson Hole. I am usually down by Cheyenne and around Rock Springs since I travel across to go to UT. And at the end of this summer I will be going to Yellowstone for the first time so reading this book made me even more excited for this trip!

The romance was fine in this book. Unfortunately in the Q&A everyone didn't mark their spoilers (they are marked now) so Clara's love was revealed to me too early. :( Sometimes I wanted to strangle Clara's mom when she wouldn't give her answers. How upsetting it would be for your mom to just brush you off. I could feel Clara's annoyance with this.

When I read the part where they are skiing... and for some reason it really bothers me that Christian or Clara aren't wearing helmets. I find that in a YA book it is important to teach people to wear helmets!! One time my husband was on a life and got off it too hard and fell and the lift hit him in the head. Thank God he had on a helmet. My dad was in a terrible motorcycle crash in November (someone turned in front of him) long story short the DR said if he didn't have his helmet on he would've died. Helmets People!!

Be sure to keep an eye out on the Young Adult Book Club to see what we read next!

No comments:

Post a Comment